what development?

enkephalin07

I'm wondering what can and can't be done with future development and what constraints there are to development, so I understand which suggestions can actually go somewhere. Today I saw an age old bug in the 'Kill Exiled Bishops' daily quest, in which the number required and completed weren't displayed. It seemed to me a minor thing to fix, if someone was so motivated to.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 11:08 AM, enkephalin07 said:

I'm wondering what can and can't be done with future development and what constraints there are to development, so I understand which suggestions can actually go somewhere. Today I saw an age old bug in the 'Kill Exiled Bishops' daily quest, in which the number required and completed weren't displayed. It seemed to me a minor thing to fix, if someone was so motivated to.

That should Be fixable. Generally we have to work with existing features and things from dragona which is another liveplex game we use stuff from. We can make things based off of what already exists. So we modified leveling, new dungeons but old maps, new items just with a different array of ideas, change skills, and add costumes. Costume we have to work on an existing costume or on the bare model. So a lot of our costumes are basically “painted” over something. I think we’ve been pretty creative lately thinking outside the box making things the game never had even if it’s just recycling things we have already. 

• VGN GM
On 10/31/2020 at 6:08 PM, enkephalin07 said:

Today I saw an age old bug in the 'Kill Exiled Bishops' daily quest, in which the number required and completed weren't displayed. It seemed to me a minor thing to fix, if someone was so motivated to.

Could you also screenshot this as well please. I just checked the quest myself and it does indeed log and track itself in the quest tracker correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious now, what IP rights does Vendetta have with this game? If you don't have access to source code then I assume it would be actionable to reverse engineer it. But is there any party who would take action against Vendetta? Do Liveplex or Aeria Games care?

I've tried to research the game engine a bit, but hit a brick wall. But having developed games myself, I find the excuses regarding source code, and the aspects of game development those excuses are applied to, a bit confusing and questionable. I know solutions to problems, but the explanations I get seem muddy the waters.

• Confused 1

• VGN GM
2 hours ago, enkephalin07 said:

A lack of source code isn't the insurmountable barrier that you guys keep implying, and that everyone else just assumes. What is preventing you from reverse-engineering the engine, at least enough to create an entry hook for your own libraries? Is it a lack of technical skill, or are you concerned about getting sued?

When you say you've developed games, you mean you've gotten some files from a community forum ran them for a while, listened to a few posts where someone done x, y and z and now you're fully qualified to question everyone?

• Like 1

• VGN GM
13 minutes ago, enkephalin07 said:

This strikes me as a defensive evasion. Also, wrong.

Indeed, I didn't feel the need to explain myself or the team's actions. You can see it however way you like but if you truly understood reverse engineering you would know that not everything can be done without issues and constraints within the capabilities of the client itself.

Granted it could fix some stuff but some requests that are asked simply cannot be done without the source code due to the programming design of certain areas of the game and how it handles it's data.

Ofc we also reverse engineer a lot of stuff, how do you think we could introduce level caps, new items and a lot other features non-existant in the original version? You also need to take a look at the hook we added for the bypass on xigncode, not exactly out the box shit right there but let's continue...

You seem to know everything for someone who's accomplished nothing. Saying that, you didn't even know what a private server is... kidding myself here, don't know why I wasted my time lol.

• Like 1

I mentioned that because it's the decompiler with the steepest learning curve. I'm aware of how frustrating and error prone interpreting bytecode and decompiler output. C# is by far the easiest and most recompilable, and I still get wth moments from decompiling my own code.

I know what a private server is, but I didn't make any assumptions about how you acquired the software, which is why I asked. Did you need to be so defensive about the question?

• Norleras locked and unlocked this topic
On 11/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, enkephalin07 said:

Naw, I get the real answer to the question, and the reason for the hostility to the question, is that you want to maintain your cherished excuse. Anyone who questions it must be an unqualified pleb!

Source code source code source code shut down all questions with the same excuse source code source code!

Not all reverse engineering works smoothly enough that you can recompile it correctly. All it takes is the reverse engineering and making a 2 where there should be a 1 and it screws the whole thing up and you have to go digging to find out where it was that messed up and know exactly what it should look like in the first place. Then Imagine that being done more than 100 times and you are supposed to intrinsically know at each location what is the correct code. Then you have values that if you make 1 adjustment at one spot you have to make another adjustment at another and you don't know where that other location is so you have to also dig through it.  So, like they said that they can do only so much because you touch one thing it can screw up the entire code because they don't have source code with the pseudo-code with it; let alone being able to translate that from Korean to know exactly what each line of code does.

I'm sure that you think because hackers can reverse engineer the game to make adjustments to cheat that the GMs can do the same to add new content. The thing with hackers is that they are doing it to isolated situations and making adjustments to specific codes. To add new content they have to add all new code lines that has to be complied and work with the game as a whole. Vivi already tried adding new BG maps, but when she did, it screwed up the BG system because there's more to it than just adding a line of code. We got lucky to have Suer, DV, DS, and Seona Spawn DG added to the game, but that doesn't mean she can just start adding and changing the game without consequences because the source code is needed to identify exactly where all the places needs to be changed. It can take a person years to find out where they keep screwing up without source code that it isn't even worth the time and effort to do for a game that has so little player base.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • VGN GM
On 11/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, enkephalin07 said:

I mentioned that because it's the decompiler with the steepest learning curve. I'm aware of how frustrating and error prone interpreting bytecode and decompiler output. C# is by far the easiest and most recompilable, and I still get wth moments from decompiling my own code.

I know what a private server is, but I didn't make any assumptions about how you acquired the software, which is why I asked. Did you need to be so defensive about the question?

You can't expect to approach the subject with the cockiness you presented and expect to not be shut down. If you don't wish for "defensive" responses then don't act the big boy.