Current Dimension Of Souls trophy upgrade greed meta - suggestion

tajykiller

The issue - Currently in DOS there are 3 world bosses, Soul King, Wormmy and Kahl Mund. Soul king is probably the most sought after boss because of the trophy upgrade being a great addition for any physical dmg dealer. However the current system is really unhealthy and leads to an every man for himself greed scramble as people camp the boss spawn (which only occurs once every 3h from the last boss kill, so if you missed the last boss kill, good luck knowing when the next boss spawn will be because you have about a 5 minute window before all 5 server's bosses are dead/engaged) to get the item for themselves. Which doesn't exactly have a high drop rate and each player would need 35 of these to get their trophy, from the soul king alone, IN addition to the fact that players also don't know what the Blueprint requirements are, but this is a minor issue. 

A very small suggestion to improve the health and environment of this very competitive and sought after boss would be to give players some benefit in fighting it with other players, e.g. an improved drop rate/has a chance to drop multiple party drops. This would give newer players a chance to join up with older/other players to give everyone a slightly more reasonable chance of getting item, that could already take people months to get for a single trophy.

A similar fix would be to allow players who did not initiate the boss fight/were not in the same party as the person that initiated the boss fight to get the drop too. However this could create and issue of players hitting the boss during someone else's fight and afk-ing for free items. BUT it would not hinder the person who originally started the fight so it wouldn't be an issue on that front, more from a moral perspective.

Alternatively reducing the no. of items required for the blueprint would be a good fix to - however this would run into the issue of players who have already had to go through the enormous grind feeling cheated/frustrated that other players do not have to try as much to get the item as they did.

What do you think?

Theres actually Harkat which tons of ppl miss or dont bother to do cuz its a healer T.
IDK why lots of ppl look down on healing like this when its an incredibly valuable resource, but at least that boss in particular doesnt seem to be hunted as much.

SK and wormmy tho...oh boy.

tbh i doubt it's people looking down on healer t's but that there's already so many options people aren't feeling up to the 35 soul grind like illustio's offering has the skill heal amp, willow one-eye's broken soul has the overall healing boost with the +35% g-heal boost, and some healers like groing full crit heal so you also have sluaw's wicked eye, viserion's fang, and alucard's medallion

• VGN GM

I don't really see any reason this would need changing as the whole reason the trophy grind was added to these bosses was because they where rarely if ever being killed and we wanted to give some extra content to our very first piece of content for the 5 year anniversary. I know people are quite hesitant on the whole grind factor because having to kill a boss a bunch of times doesn't always sit well with people but I've been quite happy with the results for the most part.

As for the suggestion:

17 hours ago, tajykiller said:

A very small suggestion to improve the health and environment of this very competitive and sought after boss would be to give players some benefit in fighting it with other players, e.g. an improved drop rate/has a chance to drop multiple party drops. This would give newer players a chance to join up with older/other players to give everyone a slightly more reasonable chance of getting item, that could already take people months to get for a single trophy.

A similar fix would be to allow players who did not initiate the boss fight/were not in the same party as the person that initiated the boss fight to get the drop too. However this could create and issue of players hitting the boss during someone else's fight and afk-ing for free items. BUT it would not hinder the person who originally started the fight so it wouldn't be an issue on that front, more from a moral perspective.

1. There is multiple party drops and there is chances for multiple people to get items at once.

2. Asside from the fact of the technical limitations of this. You also have the fact that alts will just be used to abuse.

5 hours ago, SmolShibe said:

I wud say both are the case, however it is tru that this particular upgrade method is just making more semi-geard players crowd out new players, who may also need the bosses for awkn 100 weps.
No endgame content shud ever be at the expense of new players, this needs a fix.

Before doing this content I had eyes on these bosses and I can safely say that the amount of new people killing the boss was pretty much non-existant. I even had players asking in tickets and saw people asking in peer for people to help with killing the boss for them for various reasons other than 100 Awakens and yet nothing came of it. I would actually argue that to a certain degree this would help newer players actually get chances to kill the boss as people in their guild should offer spaces to kill it when hunting them.

Now I know at the moment there was a larger than average influx of new players because of the AG shut down. But idk if changing content is completely necessary on this end of things.

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

2. Asside from the fact of the technical limitations of this. You also have the fact that alts will just be used to abuse.

Before doing this content I had eyes on these bosses and I can safely say that the amount of new people killing the boss was pretty much non-existant. I even had players asking in tickets and saw people asking in peer for people to help with killing the boss for them for various reasons other than 100 Awakens and yet nothing came of it. I would actually argue that to a certain degree this would help newer players actually get chances to kill the boss as people in their guild should offer spaces to kill it when hunting them.

Now I know at the moment there was a larger than average influx of new players because of the AG shut down. But idk if changing content is completely necessary on this end of things.

Thank you for your reply, I understand the logistical problems that arise with attempting to make it a bit easier for players and that this is the middle-ground that was settled on which is good. But I feel some small tweak to ease this pressure a little bit may help with so many people trying to get it, to try to reduce the amount of people swiping the boss on the moment it spawns without partying. Which is why one of the suggestions was a reduction of the number of items required, so the demand wouldn't be rising faster than supply is being met because it seems harder and harder to find opportunities to kill it.

I understand where you are coming from. My issue is not with nature of the grind that is required or the existence of the trophy upgrade system, more just that it, If you need 35 of these items, and there 8 spawns a days, 3 of which you'll miss due to sleep, others you may miss due to life events, or just life itself outside of Eden, you may be on for 3 of the boss spawns. Resulting in a potential of 15 times that you could kill the boss a day. However many of these will be missed due to other people also running the boss/boss campers who wait on the section behind for boss spawn to solo it. Even if you were to manage to kill 7 of these 15 bosses, likely solo as many players do, while I don't know the exact drop rate of the item, but in my experience having killed 25+ and having gotten 5 items.  It would take an extremely long time to get the trophy upgrade. And if there is more than 1 new player that gets retained to that point of the game coming in every month, on top of the many that already need/want it, some players would have to wait many many months even from now to be able to have a chance of getting the item, let alone beginning their own grind of it.

But you're reply has helped me understand why it is the way it is.