Eden Eternal on Steam Deck?

neutralgay

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had successfully attempted to run EE on the steam deck. I was able to download all the required files and get the patcher to run up until where I have to launch the game; after pressing play on either server, the launcher closes and nothing else opens. Is there anything I could try to fix this? I've been able to get a lot of Windows games to work on the Deck, so I would love to be able to play EE on it as well! 

• VGN GM

I don't really use Linux for much at all. But if it helps you need the C++ runtimes and the Direct x runtimes for the game to be played. The launcher doesn't require the same libraries as the game itself. I've saw other linux users on this forum have varying success with this so you could maybe have a browse and see if anyones posted any solutions.

• 2 months later...

I've been testing it out and got it working using the Lutris flatpak and Wine 6.5. The Steam Deck provides a Discover store where you install most tools you'll need.

Assuming you are familiar with Lutris (plenty of guides out there), here are steps I took to get it working:

1. Install Lutris from the Discover store
  2. Install ProtonUp-Qt from the Discover store
  3. Open ProtonUp-Qt and select Lutris under Install for
  4. Click Add version
  5. Select the Kron4ek Wine-Builds Vanilla compatibility tool, then select version 6.5
  6. Click Install and wait for the installation to finish
  7. Open Lutris and add a game using Add locally installed game
  8. Under Game options, set the executable as the install.exe
  9. Under Runner options, set the wine version to the one installed using ProtonUp-Qt, should be call wine-6.5-amd64
  10. Save the game configuration, then click Play to run it
  11. Go through launcher installation using default options
  12. Edit the same Lutris game configuration and switch the executable to the patcher.exe
  13. Save the game configuration, then click Play to run it again
  14. Go through the full game installation (this should take a while)
  15. Done! Each time you run the Lutris configuration it will bring up the patcher launcher with the option to launch Classic or Awaken.
  16. (Optional) Enable Windowed (virtual desktop), it fixes an issue with the mouse disappearing issue for me, YMMV
  17. (Optional) Under System options, enable Restore resolution on game exit, it fixes some screen resolution/orientation switch the game does only in desktop mode

Been testing out more recent versions of Wine but they don't work. Later versions of Wine 6.x (6.6+) crash because the _Launcher.exe is being interpreted by Wine as a DDL and not an executable. Proton variants and Wine 7.x seem to crash because of libldap issues.

Controls also took me a while to configure but Steam Deck provides sufficient mapping options to adapt your play-style.