Nostalgia

HeartAttack

Hello there!

Well to start things off, I am very surprise the growth of VendettaGN, Good job!

Well I am from age of era Perfect World Vendetta . (AKA the Golden Age)

I was there on the 1.0 and the 2.0

Looking things back it was more than a decade since the birth of PWV. Good memories indeed! annnnd there's the community. heh.

Was a very fun game! PWV was the best perfect world server out there. Has it's ups and downs but that's part of the foundation.

Good job BasH!

P.S.

If there's any Perfect World members out there. Hello!!!

I was in Connected

• 2 weeks later...
  • VGN GM
On 31/05/2017 at 6:59 AM, HeartAttack said:

Hello there!

Well to start things off, I am very surprise the growth of VendettaGN, Good job!

Looking things back it was more than a decade since the birth of PWV. Good memories indeed! annnnd there's the community. heh.

Was a very fun game! PWV was the best perfect world server out there. Has it's ups and downs but that's part of the foundation.

Good job BasH!

P.S.

I was in Connected

PW Vendetta was great times :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aSH said:

Just not feasible anymore. Game isn't so good and well... people are just wanting the nostalgia like many times before it doesn't work it's a good memory.

It's true, are any of these games the same or close to PWI?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Teru said:

Funny how this server still gets talked about years after closing. Too bad it's not coming back

Yeah. There are those that want the game back (pretty sure even over a GF PS), and as mentioned above see that time as Vendetta's "Golden Age". But like Bash said, the only reason some want PWV back is one of the reasons I'd like a DWO Vendetta server: nostalgia (though that's only ONE reason for me. The other is to enjoy a fresh start (and possibly try to reach a higher rank than I had on the official server (and/or main a different weapon from the start)) with a team that will actually manage the game properly and do their best to keep it enjoyable). Unfortunately, bringing back a dead game for nostalgia's sake, while nice, wouldn't really have much impact in the long run. It's why all of the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst servers, even on their good days, don't usually go anywhere above 150 players, and don't often go over even 100 regularly. Only dedicated PSO players stick around long after clearing everything on Ultimate, and those who were there purely for nostalgia's sake already quit in favor of other games.

The reason for this kind of behavior? Those that play a game with only nostalgia on their mind sooner or later come to the realization that they're not actually reliving the memories and events they remember. All they're doing the entire time is trying to fill that void that was created when they first dropped/lost the game they knew and loved. That old spark from playing the game the first time just isn't there. Furthermore, because their only reason for playing again was nostalgia, they have no real goal to aim for in the long run, and simply lose the will to play again. And I know this personally, because I tend to encounter that same feeling when I play any of my old Gamecube games (or games I used to play in general), unless I set a new goal for myself (such as raising a silver chao in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle that I managed to get when I FINALLY got my hands on a GBA and cable thanks to a friend (could only borrow them, though). Not the same as raising your first chao, but still a nice opportunity since there's no other way to get jewel chao in SA2B).

Good memories aren't a bad thing, but good memories alone aren't going to help a resurrected game live for more than 1/2-1 year at best if there's no other reason to play. Pretty sure most people who played PWV have already completed most, if not all of what the game/server had to provide, and likely wouldn't have any real goals to aim for outside of trying to relive "the Golden Age".

Oh, and we're technically necro'ing a thread, so...yeah. I've said everything I wanted to say here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Excuse my bump...Haven't checked these forums in a few years.

The person 1 post above me made some good points, however I believe it is possible that if certain (although unrealistic) things fell into place then a PWV server could exist in these times.

What is the current state of the game and its servers?

The official Perfect World International servers have been "surviving" to say the least. There have been a number of changes that have been implemented on the official servers that have actually impressed me and although the economy has gone to complete shit, there seem to be features that seem fun to play. It's fair to assume that the majority of remaining PWI players are people who have been playing on the official servers for very many years and have put time,effort and money into their characters thus not wanting to abandon the game. However from what I have been told by people who still play PWI actively, is that the game seems to be in a somewhat even state. The amount of new players seem to be consistent with the amount of players that leave the game.

During 1.4 Vendettas lifespan, there were a handful of other active servers you could choose to play on. Storm/Deva/Epic just to name a few. Each server was different and had its own unique characteristics and features but each eventually died out. Vendettas main competition was Epic Perfect World which was only really good for 1-2 years. The grind, to this day, on Epic is awful and I personally know so many people who decided not to play Epic because of the grind. The fact that you were able to basically buy the best gear stats (which is nearly irrelevant now since everyone has close to perfect stats) was one of the worst decisions Agatio made for the game. Yes personally he probably made a lot of money off of kids who wanted to have the best stats, but it was terrible in the long run.

Epic is the last remaining truly "active" server and it is still beyond dead. The last time I was on Epic, the PK had to be organized through Skype otherwise nobody would log on to play.  Agatio has even handed the reins over to someone else to run the server.

Why was Perfect World Vendetta successful?

Firstly, Vendetta was active because it was released at one of the best times it could have been released at. Many PWI players were getting bored of the game and at around this time, PWI kept introducing newer endgame goals for players that become far too unrealistic for the casual player to reach. Hundreds of PWI players heard about Vendetta and flocked to the server in order to try it out and they loved it. Could a newer 2017/8 Vendetta server be as active as a 2012 Vendetta server? Almost definitely not but I still believe it could be active enough. If 2017 PWV were to be successful, it would have to be attractive enough to PWI players.

Ontop of that, the server had virtually ZERO GRIND. You logged in and voted for gold so that you were able to purchase packs in order to acquire Jades of Steady Defense, the ingame currency at the beginning. Once you were geared/sharded, which didn't take more than 2-3 days at maximum, and had done your cultivation you were ready to PK. What a lot of other devs don't understand is that people don't play private servers to grind and farm. Private servers exist because players felt that the corporations behind these official games were making all the wrong decisions. I feel like BasH/Megan and whoever was on his team at that time understood that.

The team that BasH had assembled to help run the server was probably the best team on any server. Megan as the Head GM and her team of appointed GMs, Kaedes/Martin/MariBear and a few others I am forgetting. They were active, they kept the server clean and held plenty of events to keep the community interested.

The custom content/instances was truly amazing and some of the best I have ever seen. The Battle Royal maps were crazy fun and provided daily action.

1.4.5 was, in my opinion, the golden age of Perfect World. Nowadays you have broken newer classes that are 10x better than the older ones.

So what happens now?

In a perfect world (heh) I think under the right conditions, just how Blizzard has recently announced with WoW, a legacy server would interest a lot of past/present Perfect World players. But what steps would have to be taken and what would the server have to entail in order to garner interest and activity?

• First BasH would have to be convinced to put in the time/money/effort into hosting a server, all over again.
  • People would have to decide which version of PW the server would run (1.4/1.5 etc).
  • BasH would have to try and persuade old GMs to help admin the server or find new ones.
  • The server would have to be advertised in any way it could be, meaning players from PWI and other Private servers would hear about it as well.
  • BasH could publicize the costs of server hosting and other costs that go towards ensuring the server is kept online. By doing so the community would have transparency and an understanding of how they are supporting the game and the developer.
  • The server would have ZERO grind, you log in and have to do the bare minimum (Culti/Level Skills etc) in order to be PK ready.
  • Content could be established for PvE players who wish to experience that game mode but the server will be mainly PvP focused.
  • There should be plenty of custom flyers/mounts/weapon skins that are available to DONATORS only. These should not be available ingame to players for ingame currency.

Like I said, these are very unrealistic and there's always a chance that the server is not profitable enough for BasH to continue spending his time on. HOWEVER, I do believe that if a server were to run with these as guidelines of some sort, you would have a server that is active enough for people who still have an interest in playing this game.

But yea, I just wanted to give my 2¢. I very much doubt anything like this will ever happen, but who knows.

• VGN GM

The problem with Perfect World is all the "devs" out there are a bunch of lazy pricks who use tools they don't know how to program. Use examples, research and even work from other clients and call themselves tall. Then decide to be lazy fucks and make the game super easy so now the pserver scene (if you even wanna call it that these days) is basically:

1. Login
  2. Get Everything with 1 click
  3. PVP (Basically one guild who dominates stands outside ADC and kills anyone they see).
  4. Cry for "PVP Events" (Basically a monitored PVP event because no one can play fair together).
  5. Then quit to go to another server and hold it against the owner for the mishaps they done.

No one remembers the grind of PW, how fun and achieving the game actually was. No one actually remembers what PW was about it is a fucking disaster for such an amazing game. It hurts me to even think given the amount of projects including the Pet Battle System version of PW I was working on was put behind and never to be seen again (Literally had a Pokemon version of Perfect World that people could get pets, evolve, fight only with the pets, level up their pets, craft cute items for their pets. Shit was amazing and yet no one was interested.) . My days of PW is over I do not wish to even return to it. Maybe I will open a server for myself to dev for fun and play but it would never be public so people can enjoy the bed they made. People pushed me away and now the work I once done is a mere memory.

I wish it could be different but I really don't have the heart to monitor pvp events day in and out for a bunch of people with doubts about their ability.

• Like 2

I definitely have to agree with Bash here, especially when factoring in my interactions with other private servers with managers that follow a similar idea for their games (mainly Ephinea: Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe Clementine). Too many people think that the sole purpose of a private server is to give players everything needed to dominate without having to do anything for it (or allow people to spend money to become obscenely powerful, moreso than on official servers). Some private servers do that, yes, but they're pretty much twisted perversions of what they could have been. The pattern that Bash mentioned is the same thing (with variations based on PvP/PvE) that would happen on an official server (and any private server) if you gutted out all of the grinding required to get what you need. There's literally no reason to spend money or grind any of those PW private servers since you get everything so easily, which leaves me surprised that they're even still going. That is NOT how a private server should be ran.

If you were to ask me what the purpose of a private server was, I'd point to Scarlet Blade Vendetta and Ephinea PSO as examples for my view; that a private server's proper purpose is to either:

A) maintain as much of the original feel of a game as possible (even potential grind, albeit scaled down some if too severe), but fix as many issues as possible and make the PvE/PvP environment more fair/less P2W in light of a dev/publisher's fuck-ups (SBV is definitely a good example of this; being less costly overall than Aeria SB (and not having so many enhancement items locked entirely behind a paywall), and addressing a few things that LivePlex didn't bother to fix),

or B) bring back a game that was dropped entirely by its developer to give it a second chance, preferably with the aspects of point A. Ephinea PSO and Phantasy Star Universe Clementine both fulfill the first half (all for Ephinea when considering the other servers have cash-only advantages, and one in particular has an overpowered Ultimate difficulty that makes cash advantages a necessity), while SBV fulfills all of point B (since even the Korean version of SB was dropped afaik).

If Bash were to do another PWV server, he'd definitely want to fulfill point A and try to have a server that gives a fair experience to both PvE and PvP players without making the game a brainless one-click "I Win" snorefest like the other servers. Problem is: there's such an oversaturation of "EZ Mode" PWI servers that everyone's practically HOOKED on the concept, to the point where a PWV server would pretty much be dead before Bash even started working on it. That being said, with the exception of making a PWI server for himself and a small handful of friends/acquaintances, the time, effort, and money required for a public PWV server would be better put towards a more promising project.

If you think that PvE exists in this game outside of holy pathing or glitching through walls to make it to the end of the instance then you really are mistaken lol. I don't even think you have played PWI since you are unable to grasp the concept of why a large amount of people do not want to grind in this game. PWI first screwed over the players who had grinded from the start to farm the best gears/refines/shards in this game, simply by putting it all in the boutique. On-top of this, as an added money grab, they kept introducing new "tiers" of ranked gear that was simply better than anything else previous.

This kills the soul. To have the time and effort that you had poured into the game be almost nullified because of one patch, ruined and killed the game for a lot of the players (rightly so). Let's also not pretend that anyone plays this game and seeks out to gear their character so that they can PvE all endgame. We're not talking about other mmos such as WoW or GW2 where you will definitely meet PvErs who have never touched PvP throughout their years of playing. This is a game with open map PvP that was designed with PvP as the endgame, whether you like it or not.

Should Perfect World have supported PvE in this game more? Absolutely.  There are no raids, real dungeons, boss mechanics, challenging quests or anything that would encourage players to main a PvE gamemode instead of a PvP one.

You have to understand that the majority of Perfect World private server players (I would even guess around 75-80% or so) are people who had played PWI for a considerable amount of time or had at least tried it before seeing the state of it. Whether you think it is how the game is meant to be played, we need to be realistic with how much support you can add towards a terrible core game.

As for your point about how a server that gave everything for free would be dead, I would disagree. One of the most active, if not the most active, private server I played on was a server that actually handed you everything for free. Players would have to donate for mounts/flyers/luxury items and even fashion. People want to stand out and look special in a zerg of players, these are just a fraction of the players that would financially support a server where it wasn't available to them in game.

Your argument is a subjective one and in terms of Perfect World, needs to be considered carefully. Maybe you think it is morally wrong for players to get certain items/gear for free without any work whatsoever but like I have explained, there is clear reasoning for this and I think catering to your audience (no doubt to an extent) could only benefit you.

Okay, it's clear you're not going to give up on this.

Yes, I haven't played Perfect World International, but, for the most part, its "glory days" were during a time when I didn't even have much interest in MMOs in the first place (save for AdventureQuest Worlds since it was created by a developer I already knew about). Hell, I never even TOUCHED a non-browser MMO until around 2011, when I not only had my own laptop but was also interested enough in MMOs to give Dynasty Warriors Online a try (which was a PvP-focused MMO, by the way). And forget PWV 2012. I never even knew about Vendetta until after the Scarlet Blade Aeria shutdown announcement.

Still, it's not hard to predict how a PWV server would turn out based on the habits of the other servers and their one-click "I Win" formula. Your admittance that the majority of PW "veterans" (if you can even call them that with how quickly they claim their time and effort was pointless) prefer a server where absolute domination over the entire server is only one click away...well, Bash kinda implied it himself in the post before mine: it kills off the entire point of bring PWV back in the first place. And I won't argue whether or not the official developer fucked up PvE, but if a PWI private server manager really cared about the game, beyond seeing it as a quick cash grab (if cash has any relevance in the first place) or simply making one for shits and giggles, they'd try to find a way to, as I said, fix the original dev's fuck-ups and make the overall game better, rather than just copy-pasting the "I Win" button formula that literally every other PWI private server uses. Those that do the latter won't necessarily be DOA (like PWV would be at this point), but there certainly wouldn't be any reason to stay on any one of them for an extended period of time. Unless you're already in one of the top-tier mass-murdering guilds that has every single open-PvP spawn location in the server by the balls.

And patches making previous content mostly irrelevant in the PvP environment? Boy, literally EVERY PvP-focused MMO goes through that in one form or another (and every PvE-focused MMO as well, if new gear makes a big enough impact). It's called "increasing the level cap and/or gear cap" or "changing the meta", both of which have the intended purpose of giving people something that attempts to break the monotony, and there are two things you can do when that happens: either 1) quit and run out of the server, crying like a little baby who lost his favorite toy (something I'm pretty sure your precious PWI "veterans" did when they were no longer top dog on their server), or 2) MAN UP, ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES, PULL UP YOUR SOCKS, AND GET TO WORK!

Look at Scarlet Blade Vendetta's current top players. Many of them, if I'm right, had already been top-geared players on the official server for much of its lifetime (despite the costs to maintain that with Aeria's overpriced cash shop), but they didn't regain that same glory here by begging Bash and Vivi to add a 1-click "I Win" button. They saw their goal, knew what they needed to do to reach it despite the time/money required, and got to work reaching that point, even when Vivi and Bash introduced the 59-cap Unique gear from SBK that outclassed the previous Uniques. So in my view, the ASB/SBV veterans have more respect for the work they put into reaching and maintaining their positions in BOTH servers than the PWI "veterans" who would rather throw away their time and effort in one server for a one-click fast track to max stats in another (and wouldn't even give PWV a serious look since Bash wouldn't go for the 1-click route).

Though once again, as Bash said, PWV is NEVER coming back, and after what happened to TSV when people complained about it not being like the other TS servers, that decision's not likely to change. Especially since VGN doesn't have the money to host a game that allows for the entire population to freeload (they'd want to have some way for the server to generate its own revenue, and that's not possible if people can get everything for free in one click), and a server like that would drain money from their other games, making it more difficult to manage those. So really, nothing you or I are saying right now even matters at this point. I'm only continuing this because you want to claim that my post is subjective, when your's is just as subjective as mine in the scope of the possibility of a PWV server.

Edit: Actually, let me end this right now: if the biggest deal maker/breaker for you would be whether or not you can get everything in one click, then you might as well go back to those PWI private servers you claim are great. Because, again, Bash isn't going to be like those PS manager wannabes, and he'll want to do things properly.

Okay, it's clear you're not going to give up on this.

What the fuck are you talking about? LOL. Forums are meant for discussion, not for you to try and attempt to defend your precious forum ego when you get proven wrong and it becomes clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, I haven't played Perfect World International,

Oh my fucking god. Get the fuck out of this discussion, seriously. I have no idea why you are bringing your irrelevancy to this thread. This line right here just shows how delusional you are in trying to justify false statements.

And forget PWV 2012. I never even knew about Vendetta until after the Scarlet Blade Aeria shutdown announcement.

Christ it actually gets worse. I know it is important for you to try and suck the dicks of the admins of this forum seeing as how much this forum probably means to you but play stay the fuck out of topics that you have no basic knowledge of.

Still, it's not hard to predict how a PWV server would turn out based on the habits of the other servers and their one-click "I Win" formula.

Nobody is predicting anything. If you actually had played this game/server, (which you obviously haven't) then you would KNOW that PWV 1.4 didn't require any grind at the beginning of its life. Was it dead and did it die off because of this? No it actually thrived and attracted more players because people could get right down to PvPing.

Actually, let me end this right now: if the biggest deal maker/breaker for you would be whether or not you can get everything in one click, then you might as well go back to those PWI private servers you claim are great.

At this point I am just amazed at how much of a dipshit you actually are. It's almost like you haven't understood anything I said

Didn't bother reading the rest of your worthless, irrelevant post seeing as apart from the nonsensical statements, you randomly started waffling about another fucking MMO lmfao. I personally couldn't care less if PWV came back or not, I have moved onto better games myself. Like Teru said, it really is funny that even after all these years, PWV is still bought up on these forums.

Now let me really end this right now.

In the future, try and accept that you are allowed to be wrong in certain situations including ones that you have zero knowledge about. I would guess that you're probably going through some teenager phase where you think that you have all the answers and that you are always right, everything is so deep etc etc. Also, when arguing a subject on a forum, try to bring some sort of relevancy to the argument otherwise it makes you look kind of stupid when you say something inherently dumb lol. OP played Vendetta, Teru played Vendetta, Bash developed the entire server, I played the server, but how the fuck are you relevant? Because you played another MMO on the same gaming network? LOL please.  Piggyback on whatever BasH wrote in his post without bringing any real discussion yourself is not really working for you.

All you have done in this thread is showcase that you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and yes I will keep repeating this because I do not think you are capable of understanding this. Your feelings are probably hurt at this point and I would encourage you to self reflect and use this as a learning experience.

Probably won't reply to anything else you say or even visit this forum anymore. I understand if you feel the need to reply to try and defend your forum ego but I definitely won't be reading that shit since it probably still won't be relevant. Good Luck!

• VGN GM

I'll always have very fond memories of the days of developing that game I learnt it from the ground up and accomplished amazing things. People are still scratching their heads on maps, functions and things I done so I take my hat off for that but everything comes to an end I am just glad some people remember the work I put in for everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 11:51 PM, Bash said:

I'll always have very fond memories of the days of developing that game I learnt it from the ground up and accomplished amazing things. People are still scratching their heads on maps, functions and things I done so I take my hat off for that but everything comes to an end I am just glad some people remember the work I put in for everyone.

Waiting for PWV to make a comeback ❤️;) 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:59 PM, HeartAttack said:

Hello there!

Good job BasH!

P.S.

I was in Connected

I was in Connected too!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, I used to be in Unknown. I loved PW Vendetta and yet to find any similar private servers that I can join that compares. The coin farming and levelling up, monster events, TT for farming G16, TW and PVP was simply amazing. Not everything was done alone and was fun to join up with different people for farming instances and doing PVP. Unfortunately, I slowly quit after the faction died and the introduction of G17 Ruby gears. Thank you for all the hard work put in. 

• 1 year later...

Can’t believe after all this time, this thread still somewhat alive haha.

Just checking things out again, after years gone by, bash I hope you are doing well.

Hopefully some players from Faction: Connected, Sync, Delicious, and others that I can’t think of right now. Hope you all doing well.

• Like 1