A new de-exp method?

Armada

Though useful, the de-exp process is really a true time wasted and meaningless, given there might have other ways to prevent gaining experience. I see there's a new activable special experience skill that enables the player to get more exp from mobs. What if there was such a skill to nerf down the exp you'd get, to the extent of getting 1 exp point only for anything you did? Or maybe to set the exp modifier to 1% of the exp you'd get normally?

This seems possible to do with mob killing, not sure however if there's a way to program this for quest exp rewards (daily ones are the main problem). So, you can still use the standard time consuming de-exp method (get killed many times), but once a player has lowered enough his exp, he could activate for, say, 30 minutes this exp-nerf skill and go on next doing his regular farming killing mobs and doing quests, without bothering on getting any substantial exp points for a very long time. Any comments for this idea?

So, there are players that leave the game running and take one high level overly geared character, team it up with a character they want to keep at level on their alternate account and enter a low level dungeon. The character that is high level and highly geared goes and gathers all the mobs it can and brings them to the re spawn location. While the character that you want to De-exp strips down to basically no gear with stats and no pets and stands at re-spawn point. So, when the higher level character comes back with the mobs following it won't ever die from the these mobs, while the other character does. The player then shuts off the screen and goes to bed and when the player wakes up in the morning de-exp tasks is complete and no time wasted while sleeping.

That's what people do. Not sure why players would want to de-exp if you are farming with them because the higher level you get the more gold you get as well as it does become easier to farm once you are at level and gear for optimal farming.

This is a very good method when it comes to not spend useful time, but it does require a secondary high level overly geared character, and having one takes time. Not to mention this high level character has to be in another account so you could double client.

I forgot to mention another idea in the first post, which would be to create a skill that, once activated for say, 10 minutes, would greatly decrease the character's experience by getting killed. Losing 10% of experience would be great. Since this skill would have no other use at all beyond de-exp-ing, I see no way to abuse it anyhow.

To reply your last statement, there are many reasons for people willing to stay locked in certain level intervals beyond pure farming. "I like this map so much I don't wanna move on" is one of my favorites ?

• VGN GM

For the last patch, I attempted to make something that would essentially give you -exp when killing monsters to help with the whole deleveling thing, but unfortunately it didn't work. :/

I can check into something that can buff the exp lost during death, but I can't give much guarantees about that.

• Like 1

Vivi, consider creating an exp buff of 0.001% instead of 1000%, that would at least make the monsters give no experience. I guess the mechanics for the exp buffs seem clear since you gms created a skill that modifies the exp rate from mobs, but anyway thanks for reading and keep trying in the next updates please.

@Armada Essentially this is sort of what Vivi tested. She had a buff created that should in theory gave negative base exp. It did not work as expected. While this is a great idea, the problem lies in the source code. If the mobs are set to give a certain amount per mob as a normal kill, then essentially the only way to affect this is with a buff that would negate a certain amount of it while that buff is running. This is what Vivi created and tested, which didnt work. Yes we can alter how much exp you receive per mob or even quest, but sadly seems can't stop it or negate it with some sort of buff/debuff.

• Like 1

This might be much more possible, however just to increase that would be detrimental for those that do not wish to lose said experience. When your truly leveling up you wouldn't want that big of a risk. Vivi said she would look into perhaps some sort of debuff that could potentially increase the loss on death during that buff/debuff, but you would never want to make the initial experience loss that high.

Or can this be an alternative way of decreasing EXP?

An item wherein if you use it, your EXP will decrease by x or x% amount. (Can be purchased by gold maybe)

Or a VGN item where if you use it, your EXP will decrease by x or x% amount but gives a benefit as well (like getting y or y% exp on your pet assuming It's not yet 40).

Could be at least good for people who do not wish to stay on certain cap whilst leveling their pet.

Or maybe the same reference as where you buy a unique earring from the vending machine point shop wherein you ' buy ' those with RP right? So what about buying an item where you lose EXP instead?

Or a toggle-able button where if It's toggled on, you won't get EXP and opposite if it's toggled off.

Maybe this can be done more simply instead of looking ways to make buff/debuffs with simple tweaks. As my previous suggestion:Massive exp loss during death AND if possible make a very easy daily quest (like deal 1 damage to any mob? ) that rewards the player with 2-3 altered Mother's Miracle to bring back the player with the xp he lost during death in case he/she is trying to level up. What i mean altered is: instead of spawning the player in that spot, respawn them at nearest checkpoint and with hp/sp they normally spawn with. Therefore exploits in places like viledon etc during a boss fight wont become ridiculus and endless. Also make it so they can be sold for 1B ? In case they start eating item spots.

Just to remember the main idea, "to make a player lose huge amounts of experience at his/het own will, since there's no way to abuse such thing."

I think you're going too far when you suddenly begin making too many changes that might not be necessary. I think it's kinda beyond the main idea making every death by mob a big experience penalty. In your suggestion (at least it's what I get), you're also giving away Mother Miracles for players who might not even be needing, thus giving them some unnecessary advantage. I think all changes to exp loss penalty (should it ever work like Vivi said) must be a temporary and optional debuff for every player (that could be activated for example), minimizing negative gameplay impact.

Anyway, keep up the discussion!

• Like 1

That's why i said ALTERED Mother's Miracle ( new item like it,name it Mothers Disaster potion or sthing), and daily quest means pick it if you want. Its just an item that spawns you when you die like you normally would except you get the xp like u would get from mothers miracle. You spawn at a checkpoint with low Hp and Sp, NOT at the Exact place where you died with Full HP and SP, only the exp returns. Anyway if possible then maybe a certain mob can be created that if you die to it you will lose a lot of xp which will be located on certain areas. You want de exp, go to that mob and let it kill you and it wont affect those who want to level up. What i am proposing are simply suggestions around the buff since the de exp buff takes time to be created.

• VGN GM

Whatever may work out will definitely be an optional thing. I'd rather not force someone who doesn't want to lose the extra exp to lose it. This isn't one of the top priorities of things to do, but something I'll check into when I have the downtime. But most certainly I can say that it will not effect those who do not want the effect. That's the 1 striving goal for it right now.

Could be quite possible to give a mob negative exp when killed, though I don't know for certain.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Endelium said:

Maybe this can be done more simply instead of looking ways to make buff/debuffs with simple tweaks. As my previous suggestion:Massive exp loss during death AND if possible make a very easy daily quest (like deal 1 damage to any mob? ) that rewards the player with 2-3 altered Mother's Miracle to bring back the player with the xp he lost during death in case he/she is trying to level up. What i mean altered is: instead of spawning the player in that spot, respawn them at nearest checkpoint and with hp/sp they normally spawn with. Therefore exploits in places like viledon etc during a boss fight wont become ridiculus and endless. Also make it so they can be sold for 1B ? In case they start eating item spots.

While this sounds good in theory that you die and spawn in a certain location. Without source code to implement something this complex might be impossible. First off you would need an item that you could set a certain manner to respawn you where you died at rather than the closest set respawn spot. While this is already being done with the current Mothers Miracles respawn in place, not sure you could alter the affects on it. Vivi might be able to create a MM that does not give back any lost XP the problem is these might then be spammed during PVP which could end up being a very bad thing. It would be too hard to control where these items would be allowed to use. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

gonna leave my statement here that I disaprove all sorts of exp-loss, and this feature should be removed for the sake of the endgame. one thing that many successful private servers MMOs have in comon is that they focus on the endgame instead of splitting the player base in 4~5 diferent areas. if we put all those players together we can always have massive pvp, more people in battlegrounds.

sometimes I play another faction based mmo in a diferent private server where we have 25x25 battleground every 4 hours on common days, sometimes 70x70 on weekends, and its not a global server (not even english language). the server has been up for about 8 years, maybe more, and its still kicking, all because of the endgame focus

Stop giving people what they want, and give them what they need instead.

No point to make ppl more easilly to de-exp.  How the game develop more level and more map if people keep staying at lower map? Make something encourge people level up pleased. Even remove the exp losst when we died .=)).for those who stay in a level to keep bully or dominating: are u funny with that forever? U cant beat the others when ur level higher ?bla bla

The loss of veteran players retiring can‘t be compensated by cannibalizing the lower caps, forcing them to level up, leaving Viledon and Nemesis deserted? On the contrary they do invaluable work by helping new players to learn the game, gear up, take them to battlegrounds and boss raids... giving newbies a good gaming experience right off the start.

More incentives to level up might be a good idea, but a proper way to dexp would really be appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

i consider myself very new to sb, so while i am inexperienced insofar as the difficulty of leveling goes, i agree with the idea that dexp methods and easier methods of leveling up are not mutually exclusive. we can find a healthy middle.

the game seems to do a pretty great job of giving players EXP boosters to use for later in the game (40+) - but from what i'm told, 59+ is very difficult.

im sympathetic to people who argue that you need to be willing to put in the work to get to 60+, but also have come to realize that late game(50s-65) is where there is the most activity and player engagement. it's difficult to put in the work when early-game/mid game is disheartening. even with high level support. helping players can only do so much, and ppl are only willing to give up so much of their time, especially with how time consuming leveling can be.

an easier way to dexp could potentially make it so players have an incentive to stick to a certain cap for some time. that means more gear to earn, give away, sell, exchange, etc. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, Juniper said:

i consider myself very new to sb, so while i am inexperienced insofar as the difficulty of leveling goes, i agree with the idea that dexp methods and easier methods of leveling up are not mutually exclusive. we can find a healthy middle.

the game seems to do a pretty great job of giving players EXP boosters to use for later in the game (40+) - but from what i'm told, 59+ is very difficult.

im sympathetic to people who argue that you need to be willing to put in the work to get to 60+, but also have come to realize that late game(50s-65) is where there is the most activity and player engagement. it's difficult to put in the work when early-game/mid game is disheartening. even with high level support. helping players can only do so much, and ppl are only willing to give up so much of their time, especially with how time consuming leveling can be.

an easier way to dexp could potentially make it so players have an incentive to stick to a certain cap for some time. that means more gear to earn, give away, sell, exchange, etc. 

so IV party with a high level player then he aggroes all mobs of iv room n lure it to spawn ,,,,then u stay on tht respawn point spam revive die xD from aoe

8 hours ago, SparkOne said:

so IV party with a high level player then he aggroes all mobs of iv room n lure it to spawn ,,,,then u stay on tht respawn point spam revive die xD from aoe

that still takes a significant amount of my time, and the time of someone else. especially considering how much EXP i get from farming RP, doing guild quests, farming DGNs, BGs & bosses, etc.

an optional EXP dump doesn't inconvenience anyone. i don't think it would lead to a signifigant change in end-game for players. i feel like players are only ever incentivized to stay at a cap if it's active & gear is readily available. or just to stay and prepare for the next 10 lvls, which is what im doing.

• Like 1