Legendary Gear

GoddessSand

Thinking all day about the super ultra mega elite Unique gear also known as Legendary gear.
@Vivi

So, you talked about the client having issues with the Legendary gear. Thinking what could be so different from Uni and how to work around that.

Stats - those are able to be altered from gear to gear as you have shown the difference between pvp and pve gear at end game.

Look - this can be altered from gear to gear as you continue to impress us with your design efforts.

Enhancement stat values - Now I am not sure exactly how this work, but this seems to have been altered for end game gear. But this is where I want to clarify what I am talking about. If you enhance rare gear of lets say delta gear the enhancement stats get so much of a value, when you enhance uni delta gear do these enhancement stats equal the same as the delta per level or are these altered?

The icon color - We have green for magic, blue for rare, and yellow for unique. Does making it red for Legendary cause an issue that we should just stick with the colors that currently still work and just add the Legendary onto the gear type name thing so we know it is Legendary gear?

Jewel slots - Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the GM suit have 4 slots for ordinary jewels and 3 slots for ancient jewels? Was one of the things wanted was to add the extra jewel slots too? If you were to pick just 1 uni gear item and add an extra jewel slot to it would it be allowed on just that one uni gear or does it effect all uni gear? If we have to stick with uni gear but you can add an extra jewel slot to just one type of uni gear then there should be away to just make a Legendary gear off unique gear types. Not ideal but is it plausible?

Random values - Are you looking at altering random values too and that is causing issues?

From what I can tell

We can forgo trying to make a different icon color for the legendary gear as cool as it would be to have an alternate color, we as players can just deal with current colors. You can alter the visual look of the item when worn too so that I don't see much of a problem.

With Stats, could you not just make a gear with whatever stats you want? So, why not take the uni gear and increase values and add or not more stats to each new unique gear? To get this new specialized unique gear we will call Legendary gear one would have to destroy older unique gear through the crafting system to upgrade right? Concept seems simple enough, though the programming part might take some doing.

With enhancement stat values - are we wanting to increase those stats higher than the current unique enhancement stat values? We as players can deal with what can and cannot be done here, but if you are looking to increase those enhancement stat values then what would need to be done and can it be done later?

I would be good with what you can do rather than what you can't do. Vivi you've worked so hard to try and make legendary gear, that if it can't be stand alone legendary gear, why not just move all the stats onto a unique gear and call it Legendary and call it good?

• VGN GM

I'll try to explain what I can, the best I can. If any of it doesn't make sense, then let me know. I'm also doing this off the top of my head, so it may not be 100% accurate, but it's pretty close.

16 hours ago, GoddessSand said:

Enhancement stat values - Now I am not sure exactly how this work, but this seems to have been altered for end game gear. But this is where I want to clarify what I am talking about. If you enhance rare gear of lets say delta gear the enhancement stats get so much of a value, when you enhance uni delta gear do these enhancement stats equal the same as the delta per level or are these altered?

These are altered. For each piece of gear, it has it's own enchantment stat id, with a max of 6-8. So delta unique should have different stats from delta rare - at least in terms of higher gear it does. So every single stat you see with enchantment stat, is it's own id, own increment, etc. (1 reason why gear takes forever is setting up every single stat enchantment for every single +# rank)

The icon color - We have green for magic, blue for rare, and yellow for unique. Does making it red for Legendary cause an issue that we should just stick with the colors that currently still work and just add the Legendary onto the gear type name thing so we know it is Legendary gear?

The client currently does recognize that it's in there and that it SHOULD read it. Unless I was doing something completely wrong, which is possible, it doesn't recognize it. The client itself has a field for an item's rank, whether it be white (1), green(2), blue(3), yellow(4). It has it set up to recognize legendary (5), but the client itself is missing the backend code to actually make it recognized as a legendary piece. It's as if they started to code it but shut down before finishing.

Jewel slots - Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the GM suit have 4 slots for ordinary jewels and 3 slots for ancient jewels? Was one of the things wanted was to add the extra jewel slots too? If you were to pick just 1 uni gear item and add an extra jewel slot to it would it be allowed on just that one uni gear or does it effect all uni gear? If we have to stick with uni gear but you can add an extra jewel slot to just one type of uni gear then there should be away to just make a Legendary gear off unique gear types. Not ideal but is it plausible?

GM suit is honestly me fucking around with it for event purposes. Jewel slots are gear specific, so if I wanted to put it on just Whipper Iota Green gear, then just that 1 piece of gear could have extra slots.

Random values - Are you looking at altering random values too and that is causing issues?

Can be altered. The new gear has an increase of random stats now, so not a problem there.

With Stats, could you not just make a gear with whatever stats you want? So, why not take the uni gear and increase values and add or not more stats to each new unique gear? To get this new specialized unique gear we will call Legendary gear one would have to destroy older unique gear through the crafting system to upgrade right? Concept seems simple enough, though the programming part might take some doing.

In theory yeah, I could just dupe a unique gear and up it's stats again, though it's just the mindset issue of it still being yellow rather then something else entirely. I will not lie, gear takes honestly a fucking long time to make since every single class has it's own set of gear. I'm half tempted to find a way to make all classes be able to wear the same gear and make it work from there. Less work involved -> Easier to release sooner. This only brings up the problem of balance and things become stagnant with classes and so forth. Weapons would then have to heavily hold most of the gear balance for the classes rather then the gear itself.

With enhancement stat values - are we wanting to increase those stats higher than the current unique enhancement stat values? We as players can deal with what can and cannot be done here, but if you are looking to increase those enhancement stat values then what would need to be done and can it be done later?

It is possible yeah. As of now, I don't have any plans on adding new gear. But in the future everything will be modified and changed again with new gear or whatever else comes out.

I would be good with what you can do rather than what you can't do. Vivi you've worked so hard to try and make legendary gear, that if it can't be stand alone legendary gear, why not just move all the stats onto a unique gear and call it Legendary and call it good? 

If "Legendary" gear does eventually come out, then this is essentially what will have to happen. But I think I'd rather do set gear first since that is indeed in and working in the client and actually try and work my way around to getting legendary gear to be recognized in the client. Without source though, it's kinda difficult.

The whole deving process with SB is a complete mess. Basically you have a bunch of code thrown at you with variables you don't know definitions to and have to start a process of trial and error to try and figure out what said variables actually do. For example, just figuring out how to get checkpoints to drop properly in BGs was a task in it of itself ( @NoRunNoGun / @DrDieLess can verify all the trial and error it took). Its a slow learning curve of, "Oh shit, that's how it works" and "Oh, so that file is corrupt and I have to fix it!" Unfortunately I wasn't given a guide on how things work and I wasn't given instructions on how to do this. There's no one I can ask on these matters either, it's just me. (Bash can help on occasion, but he's as blind as I am here since he does 0 dev work for sb). Every single thing I learned to do in SB, I had to teach myself how to do it.

So though I'm saying the grade of Legendary isn't coming now, doesn't mean it wont appear in the future. I might just have that, "Oh shit it works!" moment later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hopefully you can and do put in code notes where you can. Not sure what the code looks like for you, but I remember programming in Java, C++, and Fortran where you can add code that does nothing but explain what that section does if you are reading the code. If you can't do that then hopefully you are copying what you do see the code and putting notes about it somewhere. Sounds like the biggest pain the ass. But thank you for the explanation and others should now see where the issues are too.

@GoddessSand That is called a comment or comment section. There in lies the problem we do not have the original uncompiled code. You can only see the comments if you have the entire solution set. IE the Source Code. If I had the source code personally there is literally nothing I could not accomplish with it. I have been writing code for more years than I care to admit to... Vivi isnt able to read any of this original code at all. So no ability to see any comments to understand what a section is or isnt doing. See if I had the source code I would not even need their comments, I can walk thru every line of code and figure out what it does and doesn't it is from so many years of experience in doing programming. 
This is why it is even harder and her work is even that much more in need of Applause on her part. For her to have changed files that really aren't quite meant to be changed in the manner they are being done is huge.

Edited by Jade
spelling typo

@Jade I completely understand this, but one can copy what they are looking at via highlight and paste it in a note program add text script there about that section and save as a text file when you then open up the original code you can have the text script file open so you remember what you are looking at does. That's all i was mentioning. If you can't hightlight screen shots work and add notes in a photo editing program like ms paint. But I just hope she's making it easier for her by taking notes where she can so she doesn't have to keep going back. As little as i wrote programs in college like 8 years ago it became very clear to have sudocode all over the place so you don't get lost with what does what. I get she doesn't have source, i understood that from the second she mentioned it. But I don't know what code she is looking at once the source was compiled

It isnt even as simple as that... It isnt actual script that is being used it is numerical in nature but yes she is saving what she knows. She does not see things like  cout << "Hello World"; // prints Hello World . Without going into a lot of detail, which would just make peoples heads hurt she is seeing the numerical output of the code. So it is not even a standard human language based system of code that is available. Thus there is not even an option to open any source code, just files that are output driven or input driven to the engine. If your at all familiar with hexadecimal, think in those terms not in a programming language aspect. 
Yes she makes it as easy as possible and has backups a plenty of things changed and unchanged. So no fear there, just still a lot of work due to how it has to be done.

Edited by Jade
Added last sentence

1 hour ago, Jade said:

It isnt even as simple as that... It isnt actual script that is being used it is numerical in nature but yes she is saving what she knows. She does not see things like  cout << "Hello World"; // prints Hello World . Without going into a lot of detail, which would just make peoples heads hurt she is seeing the numerical output of the code. So it is not even a standard human language based system of code that is available. Thus there is not even an option to open any source code, just files that are output driven or input driven to the engine. If your at all familiar with hexadecimal, think in those terms not in a programming language aspect. 
Yes she makes it as easy as possible and has backups a plenty of things changed and unchanged. So no fear there, just still a lot of work due to how it has to be done.

I don't understand why you are telling me this, i got the point from her like months ago like months. I understand code and i understand what happens after code is compiled. You keep repeating information i get, i understood without your explanation, I'm not stupid dumbhead nog nog. Why you keep trying to explain this I don't know. I understood what vivi was saying and the whole point of my suggestion was to ditch the exclusive legendary gear slot and just make super ultra mega elite unique gear that equals the stats of the legendary. I was just curious if what she can do with unique gear to do that and what possibilities can or cannot be done with what she has done. The further explanations beyond what vivi has said is completely unnecessary. She's awesome and I'm sure she's doing the best she can with what she has. My comment after was just a conversation piece that I hope she's doing nothing more and no further explanations neccessary about code and what it looks like.

Cause you aren't getting it you keep refering to code. You might have written a few programs in your life and I applaud you on that. However you don't know what happens after said code is compiled is what I am saying. Sorry for attempting to help you and others understand better. Also who says it was fully directed to you, and only you? The forums are for all to see and learn from as well, perhaps this better helps others to understand all that has to be done and how hard Vivi works to make this magic happen. You only assume I am explaining this solely to you. Sadly your not the only one that has asked these same questions, that relate to source code or modifications to it. So this was not in any way directed to you, but as a whole answering and explaining said process.
I apologize for attempting to explain this but you do not have to be upset that I did, be thankful I took the time to do so, also be thankful for all the work not just Vivi puts in, all of the SB team as done their parts. Seems you are thankful for her, but you forget that we are here too, and even these posts to help you or others out in whatever way they help are contribution to the whole.

44 minutes ago, Jade said:

Cause you aren't getting it you keep refering to code. You might have written a few programs in your life and I applaud you on that. However you don't know what happens after said code is compiled is what I am saying. Sorry for attempting to help you and others understand better. Also who says it was fully directed to you, and only you? The forums are for all to see and learn from as well, perhaps this better helps others to understand all that has to be done and how hard Vivi works to make this magic happen. You only assume I am explaining this solely to you. Sadly your not the only one that has asked these same questions, that relate to source code or modifications to it. So this was not in any way directed to you, but as a whole answering and explaining said process.
I apologize for attempting to explain this but you do not have to be upset that I did, be thankful I took the time to do so, also be thankful for all the work not just Vivi puts in, all of the SB team as done their parts. Seems you are thankful for her, but you forget that we are here too, and even these posts to help you or others out in whatever way they help are contribution to the whole.

First there you go again telling me what you think i don't know when I've said I do and you should just accept it.  Compiled code and source code is all computer language right? aka code. Sudocode does nothing absolutely nada with reguards to the fuction of a program all it is is information inserted about function of each section of a program. I can write an entire program in sudocode, but that program won't perform the tasks of the sudocode right? The explanation I gave was that one can insert sudocode into a text file and all it does is read like human instructions on what the section does, what alternate values will do. If I was in Vivi's shoes I would take and copy all the compiled code/program and paste it into a text file or if it has to be an image file and make notes called sudocode about what it does. Constant belittling me about what I know and what I've done/can do by one who knows nothing about my background astounds me as you "applaud me" for having written what you think was just a few programs.

When Vivi said that she could make a unique gear function just like a legendary gear was really all I needed from Vivi and the rest was just good information from her and now people can make even more suggestions knowing what can and can't be done even more. Like suggesting to add another jewel slot or suggest not to go that route. I didn't know if it could be done at all and having Vivi say it can players can then suggest it or how to make it happen. I went through point by point wanting to understand what she can or cannot do. I didn't need a lesson on code about my comment on creating sudocode separate from the main program's coding. My being upset is because your comments are belittling as well as full of lots of false assumptions. But I accept your appology for not knowing what I know and the assumptions you made about me.

First off it is pseudocode not sudocode a non-existent word. Also along those lines comments are not pseudocode, their comments in common language structure that explains the code, pseudocode is literally longer and explains steps taken to achieve the results. Comments on your code can be as simple as // This section retrieves user input about their age <<< This is a comment and in no way pseudocode. However you win I give in and give up on you. I was only attempting to be helpful and be part of the team. I never once belittled you in anyway if you took it that way again I apologize. I sincerely mean I applaud you, as I have seen many people not capable of writing programs, I have seen them try and fail and I have even attempted to help further their capabilities so I was sincere in my applause it was not meant as sarcasm. Sorry you took it as such but I will end this as I didn't intend to offend or insult.

• Jade locked this topic