Cosplay Costumes

Juniper

we've got NPC costumes, recolors, and event-specific costumes. we've even got costume theme sets, like with midnight diva.

what about cosplay costumes?

certain anime and manga characters have outfits that wouldn't look too bad on our arkana.

some examples that come to mind are Matoi Ryuko and her Goku Uniform from Kill La Kill. i could see this being an SE cosplay. some details would probably be impossible to recreate, but the most recognizable details could be kept intact.

there's also the sailor moon girls and vocaloid characters

other potential cosplays include lucy heartfilia from fairy tail, mikasa ackerman(jacket and scarf would likely have to be removed) from attack on titan, yoko littner from gurren lagann, etc. this is by no means an expansive list. of course, they would have to be workable with the models.

are there any other character cosplays you'd like to see possibly recreated on arkana?

i wouldn't mind a taemanin asagi costume, either.

Hi! ok so the deal with these would be a bit tricky not only because of our limitations but I was avoiding doing this because I was unsure about the whole "copyright" issue. Since these costumes are from these characters if we were to sell them there is a chance those companies won't like it as usually when characters are implemented into games like this it's a collaboration between them and the game's company.

I'll speak to bash about it and see what he says but the best I could do right now would be costumes "Inspired" from these characters rather than their actual outfit.

This is a good read.http://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/when-cosplay-makes-you-liable-for-copyright-infringement

But Monoki is right about creating costumes based on characters. Even "inspired" from these characters could land in copyright infringement especially if they are making money off these costumes. The only way you could possibly get around this is to...

A) the name of the costume shouldn't be anything close to the name of any character that you are trying to mimic.

B) don't match color for color or stick with exact designs. For instances you want to mimic Alice in Wonderland dress? Don't use the same exact color and probably shorten the dress. So you could make it darker blue instead of the lighter shade and then alter the dress just slightly.

C) Keep away from any symbols that also relate to specific characters or outfits. You want to create a cloak that looks like something from Harry Potter in the game, well make a scarf solid color or not stripped colors are anything close to Harry Potter and put a symbol on it that isn't related to anything not even a sports symbol. So, you could make the shape of the embroidery on it but in the design you could put the symbol of a Mech from the game in it and you should be completely fine. For Sailor Moon you want to keep away from any symbols used on their outfits. 

Mimic of any outfit based on real life outfits can land in copyright infringements. The reason the rapid fire bikes are in the game is because it is a generic style look and you can't just pick a single bike in a bike shop and say that bike looks like a bike made by Honda, Suzuki, etc.... The ME outfit for level 65 to me looks close to a Native American outfit that a tribe would wear for some ritual, but the design is so different that it is allowed, even if shapes or designs on the outfit are similar. Note similar and not exactly the same.

But the second you introduce a cosplay costume from a specific character for profit, you better have a license from the company to do so. Fortnite has been sued and either lost or settled on law suits by people and companies just for a mimic dance move and/or outfit. They even got close to losing a law suit with PUBG for their Battle Royal match up with even the mode of dropping in to the match. Though I believe the law suit was dropped for some reason or another, but the essence that it still cost both companies money just to even enter the courts and lawyer up.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GoddessSand said:

This is a good read.http://www.thelegalartist.com/blog/when-cosplay-makes-you-liable-for-copyright-infringement

But Monoki is right about creating costumes based on characters. Even "inspired" from these characters could land in copyright infringement especially if they are making money off these costumes. The only way you could possibly get around this is to...

A) the name of the costume shouldn't be anything close to the name of any character that you are trying to mimic.

B) don't match color for color or stick with exact designs. For instances you want to mimic Alice in Wonderland dress? Don't use the same exact color and probably shorten the dress. So you could make it darker blue instead of the lighter shade and then alter the dress just slightly.

C) Keep away from any symbols that also relate to specific characters or outfits. You want to create a cloak that looks like something from Harry Potter in the game, well make a scarf solid color or not stripped colors are anything close to Harry Potter and put a symbol on it that isn't related to anything not even a sports symbol. So, you could make the shape of the embroidery on it but in the design you could put the symbol of a Mech from the game in it and you should be completely fine. For Sailor Moon you want to keep away from any symbols used on their outfits. 

Mimic of any outfit based on real life outfits can land in copyright infringements. The reason the rapid fire bikes are in the game is because it is a generic style look and you can't just pick a single bike in a bike shop and say that bike looks like a bike made by Honda, Suzuki, etc.... The ME outfit for level 65 to me looks close to a Native American outfit that a tribe would wear for some ritual, but the design is so different that it is allowed, even if shapes or designs on the outfit are similar. Note similar and not exactly the same.

But the second you introduce a cosplay costume from a specific character for profit, you better have a license from the company to do so. Fortnite has been sued and either lost or settled on law suits by people and companies just for a mimic dance move and/or outfit. They even got close to losing a law suit with PUBG for their Battle Royal match up with even the mode of dropping in to the match. Though I believe the law suit was dropped for some reason or another, but the essence that it still cost both companies money just to even enter the courts and lawyer up.

Indeed, even if we are a small private server we still run the risk of getting in trouble no matter how unlikely it is. If it helps I am open to costume suggestions and themes but sadly for character cosplay it wouldn't be a good idea, the best we can do is cosplay our own characters (NPCS) and come up with our own designs.

that was a good read.

costumes that draw inspiration from certain characters would be pretty cool. i guess the matrix costume for CB is an example, though pretty generic. but the potential limitations and trouble you could get into seems like it wouldn't be worth it.

10 hours ago, Juniper said:

that was a good read.

costumes that draw inspiration from certain characters would be pretty cool. i guess the matrix costume for CB is an example, though pretty generic. but the potential limitations and trouble you could get into seems like it wouldn't be worth it.

The matrix costume is a generic costume. Even the movie studios couldn't copyright the outfit because of how generic it is. There was no special design team just a person who picked out the clothes. The difference would be like the batman costume that isn't a generic outfit that one could just walk into a store and pick out something. They could add capes to all the character outfits because a cape is a generic outfit that even people wear them. Though they could make a little red riding hood outfit because

A) the story is so old that there isn't a holder of the copyright to the story.
B) the outfit could just be designed from clothing of the time period that the story is based on and even altered for a more sexy look.

What they can't do is take an image they see on the internet that somebody created of the little red riding hood and directly make it an in game outfit completely off that image. They have to create it of their own design.

Even Disney really can't sue for copyright on outfits labeled as Snow White, Cinderella, Bell(from Beauty and the Beast), Rapunzel, and many many other characters that they claim as theirs because they don't own the rights to those stories, just their version of those stories and they own rights to their outfits that they designed. But if I wanted to look at the time period centered around those stories and create an outfit that is sexualized and call it snow white or whatever I am free to do so as long as I am not taking Disney's designs and using them for my own profit.