EE Font - Fresh look

Akyme

Hello,

Our EE FONT is being very old and does not fully support the main language of the server population (Spanish, french and so and so).
By "does not fully support", I mean this : If I write a special character (é, è, ~; stuff like that), it'll just show a space in the chat except if my police chat is at the minimum, then it'll show it. This has been like that since forever and ever and the solution to fix it could be to change the FONT.

So, since I know that changing font is not as easy as it could look (it could make UI issues like text too big for some windows and so and so), I suggest to make a few selection as you did for the damage setting, which will allow player to choose one between some, if this is do-able.

In the entire EE server I've been playing, FONT always had a huge influence on the fps drop in game. You can test this by your own, by going Aven ch1 with title on, and going with title off. You can even see it much more in X-Legends server, because they allow emojis and they have a heavy font since they need to support most of language (the more heavy it is, the more laggy it'll be).

In my opinion, chinese character isn't required to be supported by the FONT. VGN is almost fully translated, and the few items that are not translated aren't needed by players. If a player own one and the font doesn't support it, it'll be just showed as "<>".

Best regards,
Aky

• Like 1

• VGN GM

Changing font is hard because of some of the more internal stuff of the game like the titles and other stuff as you mentioned. It's not impossible just not something that can be swapped without causing some secondary issues that would also need to patched and fixed first.

Also we likely would not be able to add it as a selector like the other things unless it was more along the lines of "This will change next time you restart the game". But I'd have to confirm something like that before saying it to be 100%.

Also as a side note font is unlikely to be causing any performance issues in the game as its just images that get created for each character and loaded later. The other server uses live translation (which is likely the reason you might see some performance regarding text, more likely chat than in game as the translations in game are just selecting from a different file set). However, they also have not fixed some of the issues I have fixed which plagued the old AG server too (like gear swapping around other players causing people to freeze). This is likely another contributing factor too. Ofcourse there is a cost to text rendering but it would always be less than a group of players.

I will mention though that we just use the standard english font that the official server used in the past. We do not really care for supporting the chinese text it was always just a nice bonus to have. However, we cannot just swap to the FR/DE/PT/SP server font as they allow some less than optimal characters that fall back to my first sentance.

I will look into it maybe after the next big patch but as far as I know as a side note. A number of people can see the characters in which you mention and it seems to be some computers can see them and some cannot. So I'm not really sure if theres something that can be changed on the system to fix it as a sort of "temporary fix".

As example from my own computer: SJ4e5M6.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1