The game no longer launches for me

RozenniaChan

After updating my PC, the game no longer launches. The loading screen stays up for a few seconds but shortly after the game automatically closes itself. 

I verified and reinstalled the game multiple times as well as restarting my PC and uninstalling the X-Legends version of Eden Eternal just in case but none of those fixed the problem.

Set the launcher/patcher and the game client to run as administrator at all times from Properties > Compatibility.

Maybe Windows Defender is causing problems and should be disabled altogether. On my Windows 11 PC, I use a script to completely disable Windows Defender and all its services and install my own antivirus - 360 Total Security. I'm not saying install that instead, but try to run the game with Windows Defender completely disabled.

For me that built-in antivirus causes more problems than helps, it behaves like malware and disables, quarantines and deletes all kinds of important things on my PC without even telling me and for a while it was a constant game of cat and mouse between me and it until I found no other solution than disabling it permanently with user scripts.

• VGN GM

Someone had a similar issue and after several attempts to fix the issue the only thing that worked for them was a fresh install of windows.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue they had but they did say that they couldn't play after performing a windows update. However, both me and MrDoudou updated to the same windows update they installed and could still play fine afterwards so I'm not sure if its corruption or something.

3 hours ago, Allwynd said:

Set the launcher/patcher and the game client to run as administrator at all times from Properties > Compatibility.

Maybe Windows Defender is causing problems and should be disabled altogether. On my Windows 11 PC, I use a script to completely disable Windows Defender and all its services and install my own antivirus - 360 Total Security. I'm not saying install that instead, but try to run the game with Windows Defender completely disabled.

For me that built-in antivirus causes more problems than helps, it behaves like malware and disables, quarantines and deletes all kinds of important things on my PC without even telling me and for a while it was a constant game of cat and mouse between me and it until I found no other solution than disabling it permanently with user scripts.

AVG Anti Virus controls my Windows Defender. Even when I completely disable AVG, there still doesn't appear to be any option to modify "Virus & treat protection" or Windows Defender. Uninstalling AVG lets me add programs through Windows Defender Firewall, but the game and the launcher are already listed. hKhKeYg.png

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Someone had a similar issue and after several attempts to fix the issue the only thing that worked for them was a fresh install of windows.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue they had but they did say that they couldn't play after performing a windows update. However, both me and MrDoudou updated to the same windows update they installed and could still play fine afterwards so I'm not sure if its corruption or something.

I could try to reinstall Windows for a 3rd time but there is no guarantee that this wont happen again. 

From what I'm understanding, the game launches and after a few seconds it terminates. I think this might be more about system files, such as drivers or some libraries that the game needs to function that are missing.

What baffles me is there is no error message to serve as some sort of a clue as to what could the culprit be.

My advice would be:

1. Disable AVG Antivirus for 24 hours just while trying to fix the game.

2. Download your latest drivers for your GPU and clean install them. (remove old ones first)

3. Download all Visual C++ Runtimes from 2005 all the way to 2022 or whatever the latest one is, both x86 and x64. I've seen some AIO (all-in-one) packs that download and install them all one after another so you don't have to do it manually, I'm using one, but it's up to you how will you accomplish this step.

4. Download and install .NET Framework Runtimes, I think 3.5 SP1, then 4 and then 5. Some might tell you that you have a newer one installed, which is good, you can skip those. I'm not sure if .NET Framework Runtime 6 existed or not, try that one as well.

5. Download and install the latest DirectX 9.0c Runtime.

6. Complete all the steps above by running them as Administrator, preferably, also make sure you have a full-blown administrator account in the first place.

7. Restart and try running the game again (also check AVG Antivirus if it has re-enabled itself after the restart).

The game should work if Windows and all additional components are set up properly.

I just remembered that the first few times, I tried to run the game, the 360 Total Security alerted me about these 3 files related to the game and I added them to my Trust List so it doesn't cause me anymore problems, I hope that helps.

image.png

5 hours ago, Allwynd said:

From what I'm understanding, the game launches and after a few seconds it terminates. I think this might be more about system files, such as drivers or some libraries that the game needs to function that are missing.

What baffles me is there is no error message to serve as some sort of a clue as to what could the culprit be.

My advice would be:

1. Disable AVG Antivirus for 24 hours just while trying to fix the game.

2. Download your latest drivers for your GPU and clean install them. (remove old ones first)

3. Download all Visual C++ Runtimes from 2005 all the way to 2022 or whatever the latest one is, both x86 and x64. I've seen some AIO (all-in-one) packs that download and install them all one after another so you don't have to do it manually, I'm using one, but it's up to you how will you accomplish this step.

4. Download and install .NET Framework Runtimes, I think 3.5 SP1, then 4 and then 5. Some might tell you that you have a newer one installed, which is good, you can skip those. I'm not sure if .NET Framework Runtime 6 existed or not, try that one as well.

5. Download and install the latest DirectX 9.0c Runtime.

6. Complete all the steps above by running them as Administrator, preferably, also make sure you have a full-blown administrator account in the first place.

7. Restart and try running the game again (also check AVG Antivirus if it has re-enabled itself after the restart).

The game should work if Windows and all additional components are set up properly.

I just remembered that the first few times, I tried to run the game, the 360 Total Security alerted me about these 3 files related to the game and I added them to my Trust List so it doesn't cause me anymore problems, I hope that helps.

image.png

Doing all of these did not solve the issues... 

no i have Windows 10, I reinstalled the game several times in different locations then added _launcher + patcher to the antivirus exception and everything is still the same

when I launch the game an "error" file appears in the game folders. 
even by deleting it while the game launches the cutscene which lasts 3sec
 before freezing and crashing.

Edit :

when opening the "error" file this is what is written

[Desc][Open client.ini faild]

[Desc]ERROR!! Mission[3435] AcceptCommand[AcceptSRA 1 11] is incorrect

• Like 1

Does it also happens on the X-Legend version ? 

It would be interesting to know if it fully comes from PC, or from the client.
Can you try to copy / paste the game on a USB key and run the game from there ?
Are you using Windows Pro, or Windows Home ? (Type winver in research bar and screenshot it)

In the Device Manager, do you have any /!\ ? Screenshot it too pls.

In a previous post, you told me you're playing as Windows mode and it kept resetting your UI. Did you change to Full Screen mode ? If yes could you try in Windows Mode again ?

Half of those test can look stupid but well, EE is pretty sensitive about everything xD

If you have Windows Pro, you can try uninstalling last update to see how it is going.

I'm on window 10 pro, I haven't updated windows in the last few days, 
I don't have X-Legend. 
I always play in full screen 
and I tried to install EE on 2 different SSD a usb key and an external hard drive

Edit : I installed EE (X-Legend) with no problem and it launches normally.

9 hours ago, Akyme said:

Does it also happens on the X-Legend version ? 

It would be interesting to know if it fully comes from PC, or from the client.
Can you try to copy / paste the game on a USB key and run the game from there ?
Are you using Windows Pro, or Windows Home ? (Type winver in research bar and screenshot it)

In the Device Manager, do you have any /!\ ? Screenshot it too pls.

In a previous post, you told me you're playing as Windows mode and it kept resetting your UI. Did you change to Full Screen mode ? If yes could you try in Windows Mode again ?

Half of those test can look stupid but well, EE is pretty sensitive about everything xD

If you have Windows Pro, you can try uninstalling last update to see how it is going.

I also have no issue running the X-Legends version of the game, although I do not play in fullscreen mode.

Go to your start menu and search for Data Execution Prevention:

Once you've gone there turn on DEP for all but programs you select, go to the EE folder where you have it installed and add the Patcher, Launcher and Lacunher_

Once done, hit apply and okay (Restart PC). Run patcher as admin and it should launch if this is the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nanami said:

Go to your start menu and search for Data Execution Prevention:
image.png

Once you've gone there turn on DEP for all but programs you select, go to the EE folder where you have it installed and add the Patcher, Launcher and Lacunher_
Example:
image.png
Once done, hit apply and okay (Restart PC). Run patcher as admin and it should launch if this is the issue.

I do not see this in Windows 11.